Friday, January 27, 2012

Full Parking Lots

(I pulled this journal out of a email discussion with a friend. I saw it in the individual first and then thought it applied to all on the journey.)

Someone asked why the parking lot at schul was always full the night weight watchers uses our facilities.

I answered that it was because weight is about appearences that minyan and Torah were about substance.

I went home and thought more about it. I think that we can obsess on our own creations, we can focus on our pride instead of G*d's glory and Torah.

We feel pleasure in our own presence and success. Seeing the self as god. (And) Doing so immediately cuts you off in increasing degrees from holiness.

Our pride is a reversed macrocosm into which holiness doesn't flow. It is the opposite of sanctifying G*d to want ourselves to be praised. (I think this is the root of most evil. I think this is inherent in people wanting to lose weight, they want praise and others not to look at them without admiration.)

Piety, sanctity, the soul of hebrew langauge, lovingkindness, Justice how can they not want that?

We must limit concern for our own power and gratification to be open to G*d's purpose for Israel and living up to our side of the covenant.

G*d gave us the Torah. From the law I live by, I have turned my life into one in which success is more freedom to daven, study, and do good.

I believe in a constant hashgacha (like the law presents.) Some have described as interaction but it is practical as well as mystical.

The greatest among us give their lives to Truth. They work with every single person helping them to free their souls and apprehend the limitless light.
Therefore, like one would with Chazal we must weigh thier words and actions with special care.

So to must we develop the same focus and be careful of our actions.

The sages say every little candle, every goodness is a world, every word in his praise is an act of great importance 'above.'

Piety should lead all our hearts so we can be part of the work of Israel.

I want to learn. I want to sing. I want to create new Torah concepts. I want to talk to everyone about their ideas and experience of G*d.